NJEA announces a vacancy for an NJEA-NEA UniServ Field Representative in Region 13 Flemington UniServ office.
- Provide UniServ service in the following areas:
- Coordination of NJEA-NEA resources into local associations, including professional development, instructional improvement and human relations
- Negotiation service to local associations
- Contract administration/grievance adjudication
- Local member consultation and individual service
- Public relations and publicity at the local level
- Legislative and political activity through local action
- Local organization business management and membership promotion
- Leadership development training
- Work with assigned UniServ Coordinating Councils and clusters of local associations.
- Represent and promote NJEA-NEA among New Jersey school employees.
- Identify, analyze and take action on problems of concern to the membership.
- Interpret NJEA-NEA research materials as necessary.
- Work with NJEA Professional Rights and Responsibilities Committee and other NJEA committees to protect the legal and professional rights of members.
- Help local associations resolve student disruption problems.
- Secure information for members and associations in such areas as insurance, travel, certification, and pensions.
- Speak before local and county associations, college students, parent-teacher groups, service clubs, state organizations, etc.
- Coordinate and/or direct representation elections.
- Share responsibility for the operation of an NJEA-NEA UniServ office.
- Assign part-time consultants and coordinate their activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the executive director, UniServ director, or the UniServ assistant director.
- Employment experience in a public school or college.
- Experience in organizing and administering public school/college employee association activities.
- Personal experience and background in association activities which demonstrate a high degree of intelligence, integrity, imagination, and leadership ability.
- Experience in initiating, planning, and executing activities in association work with a minimum of guidance.
- General knowledge of the statutes, regulations, and case law governing the civil, employment, and professional rights of New Jersey school employees.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating written comprehensive agreements, representing school employees individually and collectively before school boards and other appropriate bodies, and counseling members with employment-related problems.
- Knowledge of and experience in public employer-employee relations including mediation, fact-finding, and grievance and arbitration procedures.
- Knowledge of such items as negotiation unit definitions, unfair labor practices, scope of bargaining and crisis management.
- Ability to write and speak effectively.
- General knowledge of and experience with communications and public relations techniques including working directly with news media, community and civic groups, and local and statewide public officials.
- Ability to analyze and utilize research data.
- Ability to work long hours and under great pressure over extended periods of time.
- Experience which demonstrates an ability to make calm, reasoned, mature judgments
- Ability to work cooperatively with all other staff members.
- Commitment to and knowledge of NJEA's objectives and philosophy.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and rèsumè no later than Sept. 6, 2016 to:
Al Ramey, UniServ Regional Director, @ Uni_Northwest@njea.org.
An application will be forwarded for completion based upon review of the submitted resume. Applications are due by Sept. 20, 2016.
NJEA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.