NJEA announces a vacancy for a regional assistant director, UniServ Division.
- Assist the UniServ division director in the management and operation of the UniServ division and the implementation of the NJEA-NEA UniServ program in southern New Jersey.
- Supervise, coordinate, and assist with the activities of UniServ regional full-time and part-time staff members, including the NJEA apprentices and interns.
- Assist with the employment process, supervision, evaluation, training, discipline, etc. of regional UniServ division personnel.
- Assist with the development of UniServ division budget recommendations. Maintain effective control and efficient use of budgeted funds. Process and maintain appropriate financial records.
- Be responsible for locating, leasing, purchasing, furnishing, and managing regional office sites.
- Participate in the selection, supervision, evaluation and training of UniServ division interns and apprentices.
- Supervise the part-time consultant program, including employment interviews, supervision, evaluation, training, discipline, payroll, and annual reports.
- Work with NJEA committees as appropriate and serve as staff contact for assigned NJEA committees.
- Attend meetings of the NJEA Delegate Assembly, Property and Personnel Committee, Executive Committee, UniServ Committee, and other NJEA groups, as necessary.
- Conduct at least four UniServ regional office meetings per year.
- Work with other UniServ division managers in local disputes and crisis situations. Expedite financial and staffing assistance as necessary.
- Assist with programs and campaigns to maintain strong affiliates.
- Help develop, promote, and support NJEA's policies and programs.
- Assist with the coordination and integration of NJEA programs with other division staff members and the NJEA officers.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with NJEA affiliate leaders and members.
- Develop, conduct, and participate in staff meetings and workshops as appropriate.
- Assist with the annual NJEA Convention as assigned.
- Work closely with the other UniServ division assistant directors and director to implement NJEA’s UniServ program and to coordinate of NJEA’s Expanded Scope of Advocacy Program in the field.
- Work with NEA Northeast staff to coordinate the scheduling of UniServ staff training
and payment of expenses.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
A candidate should possess the general qualifications required of an NJEA-NEA UniServ manager, including a high degree of intelligence, integrity, creativity, and leadership ability. He or she should be able to contribute to the management decision-making process within the UniServ division and NJEA; have prior staff experience, and a diversified background in association activities, including but not limited to organizing, negotiations, grievance adjudication, instructional issues, public relations, legislation, political action, membership promotion, leadership training, and organizational management.
He or she should show leadership ability in training groups, motivating others, managing staff, and coordinating campaigns; be familiar with standard procedures in budgeting, financial management, personnel management, and collective bargaining; demonstrate considerable knowledge of the legal structure, organization, and operation of public schools and colleges; and possess the ability and personality to supervise and coordinate the activities of UniServ division and other NJEA personnel.
The position requires initiative, self-motivation, and administrative competence. Ability to speak and write with professional skill and authority is essential. The individual must possess sufficient physical and emotional stamina to spend long hours -- nights and weekends, as necessary -- helping to resolve controversial situations.
Applicants must have experience in public education or other organizational activities. Bachelor's/master's degree(s) desirable.
Regional assistant directors, UniServ division, shall work directly under the supervision of the NJEA UniServ division director.
Send letter of interest and résumé to Zella Felzenberg by Sept. 15. Email requests preferred.
Ms. Zella Felzenberg, UniServ Director
180 West State Street
PO Box 1211
Trenton, New Jersey 08607-1211
Completed applications must be received by Sept. 30.
NJEA is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.