Teachers (123,825) and ESP (46,940); retired educators (24,925); student members (951); and general and subscribing members (15) for a total of 195,501 members.
A headquarters building at 180 W. State St. in Trenton, New Jersey, and 22 regional offices throughout the state.
The staff is organized into seven divisions: Business, Communications, Executive Office, Government Relations, Professional Development, Research and Economic Services, and UniServ.
NJEA policy is made by an elected Delegate Assembly of 125 members. Policy is implemented by a 40-member Executive Committee elected by the counties, by higher education members, and by professional non-classroom personnel. Policy recommendations come from NJEA's 40 standing and special committees.
As of September 1, 2012, annual dues are:
- $791 for active professional members (full-time);
- $395.50 (part-time professional); $395.50 (on leave professional);
- $386 for active supportive members (full-time);
- $193 (part-time supportive); $193 (on leave supportive);
- $77 for retired professional members;
- $54 for retired ESP;
- $955 for retired life members;
- $610 for retired ESP life;
- $32 for student members;
- $250 for general professional members (outside NJ public education employment); and
- $250 for subscribing members.
NJEA's officers, who are elected to two-year terms, are:
a mathematics teacher in New Milford (Bergen Co.)
a mathematics teacher in Riverside (Burlington Co.)
a special education teacher in Washington Township (Gloucester Co.)
NJEA is the state affiliate of the National Education Association. NJEA has a local affiliate in every school district in New Jersey, almost all of them the legally recognized bargaining agent for that district's teachers. In many other districts, NJEA has one or more education support professionals such as secretary, bus driver, custodian, etc.
NJEA also has local affiliates in most of New Jersey's county colleges and in several of the state colleges. In addition, New Jersey's subject-matter associations -- such as the Teachers of English -- are affiliates of NJEA.