Government Resources

Below are descriptions of government agencies that can be helpful on school health and safety concerns. The local association, members, and parents may wish to contact them to obtain information, advice, and publications. In some cases, obtaining an onsite enforcement inspection is also possible.

Public Employees Occupational Safety and Health

(PEOSH) Program is responsible for health and safety enforcement for staff in New Jersey public schools. 

New Jersey Department of Health & Senior Services

  • Indoor Environments Program 

    Offers information, advice, and sometimes enforcement on issues such as asbestos, lead, mold, and vapor intrusion.
    Phone: 609-631-6749
  • Communicable Disease Program

    Offers information, advice, and sometimes enforcement on issues such as tuberculosis, hepatitis, meningitis, vaccines, flu, etc.
    Phone: 609-588-7539
  • Cancer Epidemiology Program 

    Offers information and advice about cancer cluster concerns in the workplace and community.
    Phone: 609-588-3500

New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

Offers information, advice, and enforcement on contamination of school sites, school bus idling, integrated pest management, radon, lead in drinking water, ozone and other air pollutants, and mercury.

New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA)

Division of Codes and Standards

Enforces the Uniform Construction Code in Abbott Districts, including issuing certificates of occupancy. The division enforces elevator safety, the Asbestos Hazard Abatement Subcode, also known as Subchapter 8 of the Uniform Construction Code as well as the Lead Hazard Abatement rules in all buildings and structures undergoing lead hazard abatement. Phone: 609-984-7609.

New Jersey Schools Development Authority (NJSDA)

Responsible for monitoring construction-related health and safety problems in public schools, if the projects are funded by them.
  • Main Office - 609-943-5955
  • Trenton Region – 609-292-5788
  • Northern Region - 973-648-8335

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)

Responsible for health and safety enforcement for employees of private contractors working in the public schools, for example, construction workers and privatized custodians. Phone: 1-800-321-6742, toll-free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Local Health Departments

Offer information, advice, and sometimes enforcement on issues related to sanitation, food safety, noise, and other public health nuisances. Find your local health department by calling 1-800-367-6543.  

Local Fire Officials

Offer information, advice, and enforcement inspections on fire extinguishers, sprinklers, alarms, exits, and flammable materials. Find your local fire officials in the government pages of the phone book.