You're In the Home Stretch!
You're probably counting down the number of days rather than weeks to the end of your first year of teaching. Regardless of where you plan to be next year, make sure this school year ends on a positive note.
Here are some tips to help you do that:
- Be sure all paperwork is done and submitted on time.
- Thank students, parents and colleagues for their support and encouragement during the past school year.
- Sort and file materials for use next year.
- If you'll be teaching a new grade level or subject next year, start talking to the teachers in that grade or subject area. What materials can they share with you now to help you prepare?
- Make notes on lessons you used this year telling you what worked or didn't work with each lesson.
- Find a quiet time to reflect on what lessons or practices went well or not so well.
- Resolve to work on any weaknesses in your performance.
- Review your certification status and be sure everything is up-to-date. Know what you need to do to ensure that you are properly certified for next year.
- If you can, participate in a district-sponsored workshop or committee this summer.