Preparing for a Substitute
It may not be in your lesson plans right now, but sometime in the future you're probably going to miss a day of school and you'll need a substitute.
Subs are like Santa's elves-they do the work when the big guy isn't around.
Subs will do a better job if you make sure everything they need is marked and handy.
Label a file folder or notebook "Substitute" and always keep it somewhere that people can find it (desk drawer, filing cabinet).
Here are some suggestions for what could be in the folder:
- Schedule of classes (regular and special) and supervision assignment
- Names and schedules of students who leave the room during the day for special reasons
- Names of students
- Seating chart
- Procedures for reporting student absences, lunch, etc.
- Lesson plans (Include an emergency lesson plan in case regular lesson plans don't make it to the sub)
- Your classroom rules and discipline procedures
- Location of any manuals or materials to be used
- Procedure for use of AV material or any other special equipment
- Names and schedules of aides and/or volunteers
- Names of students who can be depended on to help
- Names and location of teachers to call on for help
- Procedures for dealing with sick or injured children
- Procedures for regular and early dismissal
- Floor plan of the building
- Procedures for emergency drills
- Some sort of evaluation form so that the substitute can let you know how things went while you were gone (You don't need any surprises when you return!)