NJEA is accepting nominations for the 2014 Equality Champion Award, which honors members who have been champions in defense of human and civil rights that have significantly affected education and the achievement of equal opportunity for those facing discrimination due to their sexual orientation or gender identity.
The award is presented by the NJEA Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SO&GI) Committee in conjunction with the Minority Leadership and Recruitment (ML&R) Committee. To be eligible the honored individual must be an NJEA member or retired member in good standing for the past three years.
To be eligible for the award the nominee must meet one or more of the following:
- Promotes appreciation for diversity with regard to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Work to eliminate discrimination or abusive behavior toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) groups and individuals.
- Develops programs that enhance the education of LGBT students and teaches students and teach students to refrain from activities such as bullying, stereotyping, and fighting.
- Demonstrate leadership and creativity in improving conditions and opportunities for LGBT individuals in school environments.
- Champions policy and/or legislation that improve conditions and opportunities for LGBT individuals in school environments.
Nominations will be accepted from individual active or retired members of NJEA as well as local and county affiliates. The award recipient must be available to attend the ML&R Conference dinner scheduled for Friday, April 25, 2014 at the Doubletree Hotel in Somerset, NJ. The Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Committee will make the final selection with the approval of the NJEA Executive Committee.
Nominations must be accompanied by appropriate documentation that may include newspaper clippings, newsletters, online reports, programs, certificates, citations pictures, and other such materials.
Nomination forms, and supporting documents must be received by
Monday, March 3, 2014.
Questions? Email Thomas Hardy at email@example.com.