|2016 Equality Champion Award recipient Amy Moran.
NJEA is accepting nominations for the 2017 Equality Champion Award, which honors members who have been champions in the defense of human and civil rights, and that have significantly impacted education and the achievement of equal opportunity for those facing discrimination due to their sexual orientation or gender identity.
The award is presented by the NJEA Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SO&GI) Committee in cooperation with the Minority Leadership and Recruitment (ML&R) Committee.
Must be a current NJEA active or retired member in good standing for the past three years. Must complete application form and submit by the deadline.
To be eligible for this award, the nominee must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Promote appreciation for diversity with regard to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Work to eliminate discrimination or abusive behavior toward lesbian, gay, bisexual,
transgendered (LGBT) groups and individuals in school environments.
- Help schools develop programs that enhance the education of LGBT students and teach
students to refrain from activities such as bullying, stereotyping, and fighting.
- Demonstrate leadership and creativity in improving conditions and opportunities for
LGBT individuals in school environments.
- Champions policy and/or legislation that improve conditions and opportunities for LGBT
individuals in school environments.
- Nominations will be accepted from individual active or retired members or NJEA local
and county affiliates.
- Nominations must be accompanied by appropriate documentation which may include:
newspaper clippings, newsletters, online reports, programs, certificates, citations,
- Nomination applications and supporting documents must be received via email by
Monday, Feb. 27, 2017.
- The award recipient must be available to attend the awards dinner at the Minority
Leadership & Recruitment Conference scheduled for May 5, 2017 at the Renaissance
Woodbridge Hotel, Iselin, NJ.
- The Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Committee will make the final selection with
the approval of the NJEA Executive Committee.
Questions? Email Thomas Hardy at firstname.lastname@example.org.