Take Action on PARCC

Published on Friday, February 10, 2017

On Monday, February 13, 2017 the Assembly Education Committee will hear testimony on ACR-215 (Jasey, Caride).  This resolution clarifies that State Board of Education regulations (adopted in August) that require students take and pass the PARCC test are inconsistent with current legislation that determines standards for high school graduation.

If passed, the resolution directs the State Board of Education to amend or withdraw the regulations within 30 days, or the Legislature may pass another concurrent resolution to invalidate the regulations.


Call and/or email members of the Assembly Education Committee and ask them to vote ACR-215 out of Committee.

Chair, Asw. Caride, is a co-sponsor of ACR-215.  Please thank her for her support.

Asw. Mila Jasey is a co-sponsor of ACR-215. Please thank her for her support.

Vice Chair Troy Singleton

Asm. Robert Auth

Asm. Ralph Caputo

Asw. Angelica Jimenez

Asw. Patricia Egan Jones

Asw. Angela McKnight

Asm. Dave Rible

Asm. Adam Taliaferro

Asm. David Wolfe

Talking Points

  • State law regarding high school graduation standards refer to a single, comprehensive graduation assessment given in the 11th grade.
  • The State Board of Education regulations requiring students to demonstrate proficiency on PARCC ELA 10 and Algebra I are inconsistent with the intention of the  P.L.1979 law that established a program of standards for graduation from high school, including a Statewide assessment test in reading, writing and computational skills. 
  • PARCC tests as authorized under the new regulations are two separate tests, PARCC ELA 10 and Algebra I, given at the end of the relevant course.
  • For the classes of 2016-2020, if a student does not demonstrate proficiency on the ELA 10 or Algebra I assessments – the regulations offer no option for retesting using these exams – instead students may use an alternative third-party assessment such as the SAT, PSAT, ACT other PARCC assessments or a portfolio appeal.
  • For the class of 2021, students can use an alternative assessment to show proficiency only after they have taken all applicable high school end-of-course PARCC assessments for courses in which they are enrolled.

Bookmark and Share