Read Across America
You’re never too old, wacky or wild
Pick up a book and read to a child
It’s that time of year again! That’s right, NJEA members, it’s time to don your red and white stovepipe hats and join the nationwide celebration of reading. Friday, March 1, is Read Across America Day, and for the 15th year running, NJEA is working to promote reading and literacy through Read Across America-NJ.
Read Across America is an annual celebration of reading that culminates this year on March 2, which would have been the 109th birthday of prolific children’s book author Theodor Seuss Geisel, known and loved worldwide as Dr. Seuss. Learn more
Did the Cat visit you?
We want to hear about it! E-mail us two or three of the best digital photos along with a description of your Read Across America celebration.
Did your community take the pledge?
Towns all across New Jersey are encouraged to proclaim March 1 as Read Across America Day. By sending in a proclamation, the mayor and council members in that town endorse Read Across America-NJ, calling on the citizens of their town to assure that every child is in a safe place reading together with a caring adult on March 1. Each mayor’s declaration urges their community to commit to engaging in programs and activities to make America’s children the best readers of the world. See sample proclamations
- Drop everything and read - Daily Journal, April 5, 2013
- Read Across America at Delsea - Daily Journal, March 27, 2013
- Stories Told at 'Read Across America Day' at Middletown Village School - Middletown Patch, March 24, 2013
- Read Across America brings magic to Cedar Grove's North End School - Verona-Cedar Grove Times, March 24, 2013
- Celebrate National Reading Month in South Brunswick - South Brunswick Patch, March 23, 2013
- Celebrate National Reading Month in Tri-Boro - Tri-Boro Patch, March 22, 2013
- Celebrate National Reading Month in Montville - Montville Patch, March 22, 2013
- Celebrate National Reading Month in Manalapan - Manalapan Patch, March 21, 2013
- John P. Faber School in Dunellen loves to read - Asbury Park Press, March 18, 2013
- WNY schools celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday - Hudson Reporter, March 17, 2013
- Celebrate National Reading Month - River Dell Patch, March 17, 2013
- Parsons school could have 20,000 reasons to celebrate - Sentinel, March 14, 2013
- Washington Township students celebrate Read Across America - Washington Township Times, March 13, 2013
- Academy Street School welcomes the Cat in the Hat - Neighbor News, March 13, 2013
- A Good Sport: Principal Dyes Her Hair Blue - Livingston Patch, March 12, 2013
- Willow Grove School in Hackettstown celebrate 'Read Across America' - Warren Reporter - March 10, 2013
- UC, WNY schools celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday - Hudson Reporter, March 10, 2013
- Stillwater students share their love of reading - New Jersey Herald, March 10, 2013
- Polytech helps Readington students celebrate reading - Hunterdon County Democrat, March 9, 2013
- First Grade Students Celebrate The 109th Birthday of Dr. Seuss - The Alternative Press, March 8, 2013
- Greenville Students Go 'Loco' For Reading - Howell Patch, March 8, 2013
- EDITORIAL: It's magic, it's Dr. Seuss - Echoes-Sentinal, March 8, 2013
- O.B. students celebrate Read Across America - Suburban, March 7, 2013
- Dr. Seuss celebrated at Glen Rock Schools - Glen Rock Gazette, March 6, 2013
- Cedar Grove Reads Across America - Verona-Cedar Grove Patch, March 6, 2013
- Hats off to reading - Shore News Today, March 6, 2013
- The 'Cat in the Hat' visits Fort Lee School 1 - Fort Lee Patch, March 2, 2013
- South Jersey students celebrate Dr. Seuss during Read Across America - South Jersey Times, March 2, 2013
- Hungry for reading - The Daily Journal, March 2, 2013
- Dr. Seuss celebration: Reading and Recyling - The Daily Journal, March 2, 2013
- Read Across America Day at Oakview Elementary - West Deptford Patch, March 1, 2013
- Readers Reach New Horizon on Dr. Seuss' Birthday - The Alternative Press, March 1, 2013
- School Uses Reading to Teach Character - Bridgewater Patch, March 1, 2013
- Washington School students at West Caldwell welcome the Cat in the Hat - The Progress, March 1, 2013
- Grab your Hat and Read with the Cat for Read Across America Day! - Barista Kids - Feb. 27, 2013
- Washington School students welcome the Cat in the Hat - TheAlternativePress.com, Feb. 27, 2013
- Building a Nation of Readers - New Jersey Municipalities, Feb. 2013
- Cat in the Hat visits Washington School in West Caldwell - The Caldwells Patch, Feb. 18, 2013
- Read testimonials from last year's celebrations.
- Read about how schools across the state celebrated last year.