Consider hold a special summer exec board meeting to plan your engaging members program. Here are some suggested guidelines. Don't forget to consult your NJEA UniServ field rep as your plan your meeting. It's important to note that you should try to make the meeting fun! have the meeting at an exec board member’s house or a local restaurant. Consider hosting a BBQ!
1. Identify your existing activities for members (workshops, dinners, events, etc.).
2. Identify the challenges faced by your local. These may include disseminating information, encouraging members to attend events, etc.
3. Discuss ways that you can tweak your existing events to improve them.
4. Does anyone in attendance have any ideas for new events, activities, etc?
5. Take some time to explore the ideas listed here on the Message Board. Pick out a handful that might work in your local.
6. Select a handful of events that you want to try.
7. Brainstorm a prospective calendar of activities for a year-long program (there's a thread here on the subject: http://www.njea.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35. However, this calendar is a few years old). Determine the logistics for each event and activity.
8. Have fun!