27. Many local associations sponsor social committees for their members. These help members to see the association as their “work family.” NJEA and the local will create a survey to develop the demographics.
Potential social activities could include a scrapbooking club, polar bear plunge group, trips to Yankees or Phillies games, trips to Broadway shows, a dodgeball league, etc.
An association barbecue could be hosted during the warmer months. This event must be kid-friendly to ensure good participation among members who have families. A picnic would help keep the costs down and still evoke a level of excitement in members. A 20-minute meeting with members should be held at some time throughout the day. The meeting could make use of an NJEA provided projector and laptop.
If an event is to be rolled out at another time during the year, a catering hall could be rented. Also, a movie theater could be rented and a movie shown at an association sponsored event. Two theaters within the facility could be rented for larger locals (one theater for a kids’ movie, the other for a non-child film, etc.).
It would be fun to ask newer members to facilitate (under leader’s guidance, of course) some of these events and activities. Don’t hesitate to get newer members involved wherever you can.
Other ideas for social activities:
• New member breakfast (consider inviting the head secretaries and custodians so that they can explain what they do)
• Beginning of the year rally
• New employee day with the board of education with information from the association that could include leaves of absence, association contracts, etc.
• August pool party and BBQ
• Bus tour of community
• Tenure graduation party
• Guest speaker: most newly tenured members
• Member Panel with members from mixed experiences
• Newbie/mentor dinner
• Winter blahs social (February)
• Themed parties with karaoke
• Teacher appreciation week breakfasts, luncheons, and other activities
• At the end of the year, host a fun meeting with members where they share their most memorable moment of the school year. Here you could also share closing the school year information, tips, etc.
UniServ Field Representative ~ Membership & Organizational Development
New Jersey Education Association
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236http://www.facebook.com/NJEAPRIDE