SGO's and Gifted and Talented Education

Moderators: JimBoice, MaryF., dianeb, Jennifer M.

SGO's and Gifted and Talented Education

Postby GYPSYMOM3 » August 23rd, 2013, 10:42 am

Like many districts, my district is focusing on generating SGO's for all of their teachers.

I however do not fit the general guidelines of an elementary teacher (although that is what my contract states).

I am the coordinator of the gifted and talented program in my district. Not only am I responsible for 500+ students in five different buildings but I also head a curriculum committee (five meetings each year), prepare and monitor a department budget of $25000, arrange 20 different field trips including all paperwork, etc., prepare over 25 different subjects/activities over the course of the academic year, present workshops for both parents and teachers (four of these workshops are held in the evening), prepare and present all identification information for over 300 students each year, attend inter-district meetings as the representative for our district, etc. etc.

In essence I have many of the responsibilites of a supervisor except for teacher observations. I do all of that and teach - a matter of fact, I am the only teacher in my department. I teach in five different buildings - I have no classroom. I teach in hallways, balcony lobbies, and cafeterias. There is no technology in any of my teaching areas. And, btw, my classes are large (when considering gifted and talented classes) - an average of 18 -20 students in each.

I am not sure where or how to approach the SGO's - I am concerned that I will be evaluated like a classroom teacher although so much of my job requires supervisory duties as well. The teaching area is about 50% of my job responsibilities while the supervisory duties are the remaining 50%.

Any suggestions where I can go to get info on SGO's for gifted and talented education? I really need some guidance so I can approach this intelligently and create SGO's that are the most effective and beneficial for my situation.
GYPSYMOM3

Re: SGO's and Gifted and Talented Education

Postby lml3323 » October 3rd, 2013, 8:57 pm

Hi Gypsymom,

Did you ever get any good advice on this? I'm in a similar position as you and am wondering what you have decided to do.
lml3323

Postby lml3323 » October 24th, 2013, 11:46 am

574 views, but no replies!

Does anyone have any good ideas for a situation such as gypsymom3 described??
lml3323

Postby GYPSYMOM3 » October 29th, 2013, 7:12 pm

I was able to create 2 SGO's, however, I am very concerned about my evaluations.

Interestingly my job description (which was board approved many years ago) does not include "teaching" as one of the job responsibilities. Although I have been assured that I will receive distinguished in domain 4 of the Danielson eval I am still not understanding why 50% of my job is only 25% of my eval.

There are so many elements of this eval that don't pertain to my position. Is there nothing I can do?
GYPSYMOM3

Return to NJEA Member to Member - General Discussion