Congratulations on being named the PRIDE chairperson for your local association. The NJEA PRIDE in Public Education campaign has existed since 1994 and offers resources and funding for your members to share the successes of their classrooms with the community and build strong community support for and involvement in our public schools.
Being a PRIDE chairperson is one of the most rewarding positions that you can hold in your local association.
Your main responsibilities are:
• Organize and form a PRIDE committee that consists of members but may also include parents, community leaders, and even students. Hold PRIDE committee meetings.
• Work with the PRIDE committee to form a calendar of PRIDE events for the school year.
• Write and submit PRIDE proposals (NOTE: the PRIDE paperwork process has been streamlined and is easier than ever!).
• Order PRIDE promotional items from www.njeapridestore.com and submit receipts to your regional office for reimbursement.
• Organize and coordinate PRIDE events.
• Advertise PRIDE events to members and the community.
Again, it is important to note that you won’t be doing this alone. Your local association already has members who are already reaching out to the community and making connections. They would love to serve on your committee—you just need to identify them and ask them for their support. Remember, anytime parents, senior citizens, or members of the community come to a school for an event, it qualifies for PRIDE funding. Just think how many of your own members may be spending money out of their own pockets to support these projects, and now you can come to their rescue with PRIDE!
Of course, NJEA is here to help you get your committee started. Email NJEA Field Representative Jim Boice at firstname.lastname@example.org and Program Assistant Kathy Byrne at email@example.com in order to request a PRIDE starter kit that includes the document, PRIDE Made Easy. Feel free to reach out to Jim or Kathy with any of your PRIDE questions.
Good luck, and welcome to the NJEA PRIDE in Public Education family.