Share your story

Moderators: JimBoice, MaryF., dianeb, Jennifer M.

Share your story

Postby JimBoice » December 6th, 2012, 10:34 am

This is a place to share your positive stories of members helping members through this difficult time. Feel free to post about how you or someone you know helped someone in need. Didn't it feel great? Has someone gone out of their way for you? Share your story and show your gratitude! :D
Jim Boice
UniServ Field Representative ~ Membership & Organizational Development
New Jersey Education Association
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

http://www.facebook.com/NJEAPRIDE
JimBoice

Re: Share your story

Postby JimBoice » December 6th, 2012, 10:38 am

We received this email from the Sussex County Education Association:

"Local associations in Sussex are helping students and families. We think that NJEA members should be aware of our efforts so they can be publicized and give other locals ideas. I have attached a list and will forward others when they come in.

Thanks,
Lu

-- The Stillwater staff raised $230 in a 'jeans day' in addition to a “jeep load” of donated supplies. The money was used to purchase 150 individual toiletry items and lots of supplies for infants! All of the supplies (which ended up filling up two jeeps) were driven down to Union Beach by volunteers. The staff members that delivered the supplies said the recipients were VERY grateful, and the devastation they saw at the NJ shore was horrific.

-- The Hampton Township Education Association is collecting toys, games, and books for the children of Tuckerton, who were victims of Hurricane Sandy. These items will be hand-delivered to the town of Tuckerton this week by a staff member who has a home in that community

-- What we are doing here at Frankford Township School for Hurricane Sandy victims: currently, we are collecting food for the victims, and the whole school is participating in 'The Starfish Project.' With this, the students are creating starfish ornaments (to symbolize regeneration) and are attaching to the ornaments a letter to a Sandy victim and a story about the girl who threw the starfish back into the ocean to help it rebuild itself. The kids are very excited about this project, and are looking forward to making these ornaments of hope for the victims of Sandy

-- This is what the HEA is doing for the residents of Hopatcong:

'Hope for Hopatcong' was started by the Hopatcong Education Association in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Hopatcong, a small lake community in Sussex County, was devastated by Sandy's powerful winds that brought down hundreds of trees. These trees took down power lines, houses, and the hopes of many residents. Hopatcong was rendered powerless. The Red Cross set up a regional shelter at the Hopatcong High School. It was then that the Hopatcong Education Association took action. Delivering and coordinating thousands of supplies to the shelter residents and working with children and their families, the Hopatcong Education Association was instrumental in assisting the Red Cross and CERT Team at the shelter. Now that power has been restored in Hopatcong, it is time to rebuild hope. The HEA is collecting food and supplies for the children and families of Hopatcong. Holiday baskets are being prepared as well as a collection of monetary donations to buy gift cards for those in need. Together with our community, the HEA will help to put hope back in Hopatcong!

-- Green Township Education Association - Green Hills School held a pot luck dinner on Friday, November 16 from 6-8 PM."
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Postby JimBoice » December 13th, 2012, 9:33 am

More from Sussex County:

-- "The Sandyston-Walpack Educational Association sponsored an in house collection to benefit our staff members who lost power for over two weeks. We raised money to assist our staff in buying the necessities needed to survive during this most difficult time.

In addition, staff members -- along with student council members -- sponsored a bake sale during parent teacher conferences and raised over $200, which was donated to the Red Cross to benefit Sandy victims.

-- The Byram Education Association: Fourteen faculty members of the Byram Intermediate School (in addition to administrators) participated in a “NO SHAVE NOVEMBER” "Novembeard." Each day throughout the month students had the opportunity to vote whether their teachers would “keep them or cut them” by donating money in the ballot box in the lunch room. $210.00 was raised.

$800.00 additional dollars were raised when students from Byram Lakes and Byram Intermediate school donated a dollar to wear their pajamas to class.

All proceeds will go to Lakeland Emergency Squad, and the money will be distributed to the Byram families who need it most."
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Postby Lucille Stanziale » December 13th, 2012, 5:41 pm

More from Sussex County
]The Sandyston-Walpack Educational Association sponsored an in house collection to benefit our staff members who lost power for over two weeks. We raised money to assist our staff in buying the necessities needed to survive during this most difficult time.

In addition staff members along with student council members sponsored a bake sale, during parent teacher conferences, and raised over $200 which was donated to the Red Cross to benefit Sandy victims.
Lucille Stanziale

Postby JimBoice » January 2nd, 2013, 10:50 am

We received this email from Mary Ann of the Randolph Education Association:

I must begin by saying thank you to everyone for your hard work and efforts with the Manasquan partnership. I apologize that I did not follow-up sooner; however, we are continuing to receive donations! As of today, the Randolph community has collected and donated 500 toys and countless letters, cards, and craft items. In addition, we delivered $12,800 in gift cards to Manasquan on Friday and will be sending (via Fedex) an additional $1,700 in gift cards today (total gift cards collected $14,590!).

Our trip to Manasquan on Friday, 12/14 was a roller coaster of emotions. Thank you to Dee, Margaret, and Frank for joining me on our road trip to deliver all of the items that were collected. The students, staff, and BOE members from Manasquan were wonderful. They cried and were so appreciative of all that we did. We received many hugs and words of thanks. It was such a humbling experience. We had lunch with the BOE president and District business administrator and were given a tour of Manasquan. Seeing the destruction left in the wake of Hurricane Sandy was shocking. I have seen many photos and news coverage on TV but to see the devastation in person is unlike anything I could have imagined. They shared the statistic that 60% of the homes in Manasquan were affected in some way, 270 were condemned, and hundreds are uninhabitable. Families are separated and living with friends as they work to rebuild their lives. One thing that affected me most was that their “Squan Pride” is as strong as our “Randolph Pride!”

The Randolph Community was recognized and thanked at an assembly that was held at Manasquan High School. We were fortunate in that our trip happened to be the same day as their annual “Life is Good” assembly. The students were very kind. We brought Randolph hats, headbands, t-shirts, etc. and had students throw them into the audience. The student council from the elementary school (elementary is K-8) will be wrapping the toy donations and helping to distribute them to students. The guidance counselor at the high school said she was looking forward to calling students to her office for a good reason for a change as she distributed gift cards.

Each of our community groups contributed so much to the initiative. I would like to share a few highlights:

The RMS & RHS communities collected $3,000+ each in gift cards and wrote many letters to students. The Fernbrook students and staff donated countless cards, gift cards and toys. The toys were wrapped in wrapping paper that was handmade from Fernbrook students (so great!). The Center Grove toy collection and Holiday cheer letters were so touching (a few letters made me cry!). Ironia and Shongum collected countless toys and earned $1,100 at their bake sales. The Randolph Community Center collected 200+ toys (including many Lego sets that will make many kids happy!). The Randolph Scout Troops did a wonderful job with letters, friendship bracelets, and craft projects. VPAC collected $240 in gift cards from the first of the holiday concerts and has two more concerts to go! The PTOs, REA, RTAA, RAM RAC, and REF did a wonderful job sharing information and letting community members know where to bring their donations. Communication is always the first step and you did an amazing job in spreading the word.

I will be sharing all of the information with District Communications Director, Jon (he is copied on this email). I feel that it is very important that we share the information with our community . . . what a wonderful example of the holiday spirit! I will also write a letter of thanks to the community and send it to the Randolph Reporter.

“Thank you” does not seem to be enough for all that you did to support this partnership. In the midst of this wonderful initiative combined with the horrific tragedy in Newtown, CT., I am more appreciative, than ever before, of my family and the extraordinary community in which we live.

MaryAnn
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Return to NJEA Hurricane Sandy Back to School Effort