What is SOS?

Moderators: JimBoice, MaryF., dianeb, Jennifer M.

What is SOS?

Postby JimBoice » May 23rd, 2013, 2:16 pm

Support and engage your new members with Support on Site

A program for local associations

• Reduce teacher turnover

• Rejuvenate veteran teachers

• Motivate nontenured members to get involved in the association

• Build a positive relationship with your administration
Jim Boice
UniServ Field Representative ~ Membership & Organizational Development
New Jersey Education Association
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

http://www.facebook.com/NJEAPRIDE
JimBoice

Re: What is SOS?

Postby JimBoice » May 23rd, 2013, 2:16 pm

What is SOS?

Support on Site (SOS) is a program offered within each school building to provide support for new teachers, those new to the school and nontenured teachers. While it is ideal to have support from district and school administration, the program can be implemented by the association alone.

The program consists of monthly meetings. A facilitator selects a topic for each month’s gathering and can choose from a list of modules or create a unique agenda. NJEA has prepared modules on several topics, such as communicating with parents, classroom management, and technology integration.

Woven into each module is a discussion of educator rights and responsibilities. Participants are also given an opportunity to discuss any current concerns and share their success stories.

SOS relates to topics relevant to teachers and is designed around teacher job descriptions. However, an association can modify SOS to fit the needs of any job category.

The Support on Site program began in the Gloucester Township School District in 2002. A few years later, NJEA adopted the SOS program so that other local associations and school districts could reap the benefits of this successful program.
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Postby JimBoice » May 23rd, 2013, 2:17 pm

How to start an SOS program

Interested in bringing SOS to your school? Contact your local president who will reach out to your UniServ field representative. The next step is to meet with district administration to gain support and possible funding. Subsequent meetings would involve the local SOS committee representatives and building administrators.

The local association would then select and train SOS facilitators before the start of the school year. All new and non-tenured teachers would be invited to take part in the SOS program.

At the end of the year, the SOS committee will gather feedback makes changes to the program if necessary.
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

How does SOS differ from mentoring?

The significant differences between the SOS program and the mentor program are:

• SOS is a group support system rather than the one-to-one relationship.
• SOS is open to all non-tenured as well as tenured teachers.
• Participation in the SOS program is voluntary.
• SOS includes association topics and perspectives along with classroom and teacher survival skills.
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Why should your local association start an SOS program?

Nearly 50 percent of teachers leave the profession in their first five years on the job. These “early-leavers” blame a lack of support and a feeling of isolation for their decision. New teachers often report feeling unprepared for challenges related to classroom management and student learning.

Your association, with support from administration, can provide the support and expertise new teachers need through SOS.

At the same time, SOS participants will gain a better understanding of association services and activities at all levels. By supporting and educating these new members today, they can become our association leaders of tomorrow.
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Postby JimBoice » May 23rd, 2013, 2:18 pm

What participants say about SOS

With SOS I had a safe place to go to exchange ideas and celebrate successes, but also to vent and discuss problems and challenges. It helped me understand my rights and taught me about the association.
Erica Guillama, former participant and current SOS facilitator

SOS participants learn that the association provides information, opportunities for professional growth, and camaraderie. They come to understand the association, not the board, provides them with their contract and benefits.
Angel McDermott, local association president

The SOS program has been very successful. The supportive problem-solving nature of this collegial group has allowed teachers to gain confidence in their abilities as instructional leaders.
Susan Pogozelski, vice principal

I had been teaching for 36 years when the SOS program was founded. But from the minute I walked into an SOS meeting, I felt energized and renewed. The experience reminded me of why I entered the profession.
Mary Jane Hackney, co-founder of SOS
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Return to SOS Facilitators