Regional offices and county associations: host an Engaging Minds, Engaging Members Roundtable!
How are your local associations organizing and engaging members? What new strategies are they using to make their members feel welcome and valued? What challenges are your local leaders facing when it comes to involving their members in association activities? How are your members overcoming these challenges?
Wouldn’t it be nice if your local local leaders attended a meeting or two each year that allowed them the opportunity to discuss the answers to these questions?
Consider hosting an Engaging Minds, Engaging Members Roundtable! This would provide your local leaders with a forum to share their challenges and successes when organizing and engaging members. Here are some tips to hosting a successful roundtable:
1. Have an agenda or a topic for discussion. Consider the time of year and what’s going on in locals. For example, late spring / early fall roundtables could focus on new member welcome events, etc. Roundtables in the winter or early spring could focus on end of the year activities, etc.
2. Share the NJEA Member to Member Message Board: www.njea.org/messageboard
. Over 70 ideas to reach all members are now posted in the membership chairs section! Encourage participants to post their stories, ideas, and suggestions.
3. Offer updates on any new NJEA resources and materials (new member tools, new member welcome kit, etc.).
4. At the meeting, encourage your participants to work together. Local leaders will be motivated after hearing the success stories of others, and allowing leaders time to share their challenges will lead to helpful feedback from participants.
5. Consider encouraging participants to think of the roundtable as a working committee. Future meeting dates and topics to be explored next time could be selected as the roundtable comes to a close.
6. Consider inviting NJEA staff to the roundtable. Here are some tips to promoting your Engaging Minds, Engaging Members Roundtable:
Email, snail mail, call, and/or text your local presidents, vice presidents, membership chairs, and any other local exec board members you think would benefit. The promotional material could read:
Attend our first Engaging Minds, Engaging Members Roundtable!
Come and hear about the new strategies and fun activities that locals are using to organize and engage their members. Are you facing challenges when it comes to exciting your members about association activities? This roundtable will be the place to share your challenges and benefit from helpful feedback.
Hear what NJEA is doing to support your efforts.
Next, promote any NJEA staff who will be present to add to the discussion.
Finally, include your date, time, location, and meal/refreshment offerings.
Have fun hosting this new roundtable concept!