Communicating with your PTA / PTO. . .

Moderators: JimBoice, MaryF., dianeb, Jennifer M.

Communicating with your PTA / PTO. . .

Postby JimBoice » January 5th, 2014, 5:20 pm

As locals cc me on communications with their PTAs / PTOs, I'll post them here. :mrgreen:
Jim Boice
UniServ Field Representative ~ Membership & Organizational Development
New Jersey Education Association
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

http://www.facebook.com/NJEAPRIDE
JimBoice

Re: Communicating with your PTA / PTO. . .

Postby JimBoice » January 5th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Good afternoon,

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is () and I am the South Orange Maplewood Education Association PRIDE Chair for the South Orange Maplewood School District. I am also a fifth grade teacher at Tuscan Elementary School.

I have been hearing that there is a lot of interest on the part of our PTA and HSA Presidents in working with our committee to host and collaborate on school and community events. I want to take this opportunity to tell you more about PRIDE and its purpose in our school district.

SOMEA members from all nine South Orange-Maplewood District schools founded PRIDE. We are especially proud of what’s accomplished within our schools each and every day. We plan to develop into a preeminent volunteer organization within the South Orange-Maplewood community and join forces with the HSA or PTA, as well as school administrators.

Our members don’t all live in South Orange or Maplewood, but we do have a vested interest in the well being of its citizens. We’re combining our time, talents, and skills to support South Orange-Maplewood students and residents.

Our Mission Statement:
SOMEA PRIDE is an ongoing campaign created to share the educational successes of the South Orange-Maplewood School District with all residents and build strong community support for involvement in our great public schools. As part of our campaign, members will embark on projects that will create recognition for public schools in the community and build a sense of the community within public schools. To that end, we aim to become a unified force of volunteerism within the South Orange-Maplewood community.

I know that many of you have heard that there is a budget for our organization. Each school has been given a set amount to spend on events in the school. The amount spent on each event is determined by functions that occur in the school where our members are volunteering to assist and work with the students. The PRIDE Captain(s) at each school meet with members of the staff to determine how to use the budget in a way that will support the most students in the school. While there is no set amount that is used to work on PTA/HSA events, PRIDE Captains will be reaching out to you to discuss events that you can collaborate on together.

I am so excited to be the PRIDE chair for our school district and I look forward to working with you in the future.I am on maternity leave currently, but it would be an honor to speak to the Presidents Council later in the spring. I would love to share my ideas and vision for the PRIDE organization and I look forward to working with you in the future.

Thank you and Happy New Year!
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Postby JimBoice » January 21st, 2014, 2:52 pm

NOTE: When initially emailed, the letter below contained links to Facebook pages, websites, etc. so parents knew where to go for more information. These links appear to have been lost in the cut and paste. :cry:

Welcome to the Willingboro Education Association Pride Newsletter! If you are receiving this via email, it is because you visited a WEA Pride table at a PTA meeting, Parent/Teacher Conference, or other Pride event. We are starting a newsletter to keep all our supporters informed of upcoming WEA Pride events.

You may be asking:

What is the WEA?

The Willingboro Education Association (WEA) is made up of teachers, secretaries, security officers, paraprofessionals, custodians, and maintenance staff who work hard every day to ensure that each Willingboro student receives a high quality education.

What is Pride?

In 1994 the New Jersey Education Association initiated a PRIDE in Public Education campaign to share the success of New Jersey’s Public Schools and building community support and involvement. The WEA Pride committee has been working hard this year to build a stronger relationship between the WEA and the Willingboro community. We sponsor Willingboro sports teams such as a soccer team, softball team, and cheerleading squad. We have visited several PTA meetings and even a Neighborhood Watch meeting. You may have seen our table set up at Parent/Teacher Conferences complete with gifts for participants and refreshments. We are reaching out to the community to help build a stronger support system for our students. We are not only here for the students but for the community as well.

What does Pride do?

So far this year we have worked with the Neighborhood Watch to help make our community safer. We have sponsored sports teams to encourage athleticism and a healthy way of life. We have visited several PTA meetings and Parent/Teacher Conferences and will continue our outreach efforts so that parents know who we are and that we are here to support them and their children.
We are working on reaching out to other community organizations to join more community events. We are organizing many upcoming events in the Willingboro community, including, another Neighborhood Watch event, an Optical Academy visit, and our Willingboro’s Finest event. At Willingboro’s Finest we will honor a student and support staff member from each of our schools as well as a business and a citizen who loyally supports our schools here in Willingboro.

What can Pride do for you?

Pride is dedicated to helping the Willingboro community and would be interested in working with you to ensure that community events are successful. We would love to become more active in the community and help promote community events within our schools.

Upcoming events:

Memorial Middle School is having a Winter Concert staring their band, orchestra, choir and drama club at the Levitt Middle School Cafetorium on Thursday, January 30that 7PM. For more information call __________ or email __________.

Have an event that you would like us to get involved in? Email __________ at __________. Be sure to include the date, time, and contact person so that we can try and join you!
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Postby JimBoice » March 17th, 2014, 8:12 am

How about encouraging your members to join your school's PTA? Membership only costs a few dollars per year, and your PTA would appreciate the support.

You can learn more about the PTA here: http://www.pta.org/index.cfm
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Postby JimBoice » August 9th, 2014, 11:42 am

PRIDE News from the Willingboro Education Association: 8.7.14

We may be out of school for the summer, but the WEA never stops working to help our students and our community! We would like to thank everyone who came out and joined us at Willingboro's National Night Out (http://willingboroea.org/community/) on Monday August 4th! It was great to see so many people and we had a lot of fun at such a wonderful event! We can't wait to go back next year!

We are also very excited to join the Willingboro Recreation and Parks Department (https://www.facebook.com/WRECandParks) at their AQUAPOOLOZA 2 event this Saturday August 9th. The Willingboro Recreation and Parks Department along with Rita's Water Ice of Willingboro invite you all to come out for a pool party starting at 6pm at the Country Club Pool. The pool party will be followed by an outdoor movie beginning at dusk. Make sure to look for the WEA Pride tent and stop by for some information about how you can help our students and even a free gift from the WEA.

As always we would like to thank Willingboro Neighborhood Watch for all their help keep our community safe. The Willingboro Neighborhood Watch sends out their own newsletter (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-LuEyfjXvQrX1poTm9DTlFZRFE/edit?pli=1) and would like to share all their news with you as well! These people work very hard to keep our community safe! To read their newsletter, see the attachment to this email or just click on the word newsletter and it will take you right to it! Also check out their website (http://willingborowatch.org) see when their next meeting is.

The district is participating in the Backpack Give away for the second year in a row. Last year 4000 bookbags were distributed in total. Stuart Elementary School and the McGinley 6th Grade Academy will be hosting the distribution once again on August 21, 2014 from 4:00 p.m. til 8:00 p.m. They are looking for volunteers to help with filling the bookbags with materials on August 6th through August 8, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. til 2:00 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Room of the Stuart Elementary School. Any time that you can volunteer will be greatly appreciated.

Last, but certainly not least, we invite you all to like our new facebook page! That's right, WEA Pride has it's very own facebook page to help to keep you informed of upcoming events in Willingboro! We have great things planned for this upcoming school year and we hope that our new facebook page will make it easier than ever for you to get the information about our events! To like us on facebook, click here (https://www.facebook.com/weapride) sign in and click like! You will find pictures of some of our past events and any information about future events!

Enjoy the rest of your summer! Hopefully we will see you at the pool!

WEA Pride
Jim Boice
180 West State Street
Post Office Box 1211
Trenton, NJ 08607-1211
609-599-4561 ext. 2236

JimBoice

Return to PRIDE Idea Exchange