NJEA is accepting nominations for the 2022 Urban Education Activist Award. This award honors the commitment and accomplishments of educators in New Jersey who promote equity in education in some of the most difficult learning environments often found in urban communities.
Must have been an NJEA active or retired member in good standing for the past three years. Must complete application form below and submit by the deadline.
- Initiated or engaged in activism that has had community-wide impact;
- Contributed to the motivation of individuals or groups seeking to become activists demonstrated by the testimony of those individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in the classroom and/or in parent/community engagement;
- Established an ongoing program or institution for the improvement of urban education and urban communities;
- Successfully advocated for policy and structural changes that benefitted urban educational systems.
The actions, experiences, or other ways in which the nominee meets the selected criteria must be described in one combined document that cannot exceed 250 words. This document must accompany the nomination form.
Any NJEA member or county or local association may nominate an individual or group of individuals working in urban education to be considered for the award.
Nominations must include:
- A completed nomination form.
- No more than three supportive pieces of documentation which may include newspaper clippings, newsletters, programs, certificates, citations, or website links.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- All nomination forms and other required materials must be submitted at the same time. Any nomination forms or required documentation materials received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Nomination with the required materials must be postmarked by Nov. 1, 2021 to Amanda Adams, New Jersey Education Association 180 W. State St., P.O. Box 1211, Trenton, NJ 08607.
- The award recipient must be available to attend the awards ceremony at the Human and Civil Rights Celebration on Saturday, Jan. 16, 2022.
- The Urban Education Committee will make the final selection with the approval of the NJEA Executive Committee.
Questions? Email Amanda Adams below.