The goal of the FAST
program is to encourage families to be involved in their children’s education, to enhance their academic progress, and to feel welcome in public schools.
FAST is a coalition of education advocates, community groups, and schools working together to foster family involvement in education. All NJEA locals are eligible to participate.
Trenton paras teach parents to Shop 'n Chop
The members of the Trenton Paraprofessional Association FAST Committee (Families and Schools Together Work for Children) know that well-nourished kids do better academically. That’s why they invited parents to an event that featured healthy meals that you can prepare on a shoestring budget. Learn more
- Partnerships, discussions, and programs focusing on family involvement.
- Support for legislation that would allow parents to take time away from work, without loss of pay, to address children’s needs at school.
- Family involvement workshops through which parents and caregivers learn more about helping children succeed in school. These events include activities for children so that families can attend them together.
- Visits by school employees to participating places of worship and other community meeting places to invite and encourage parents and caregivers to participate in teacher conferences and school activities.
- To find out how your District can participate, contact Janet Morrison at (609) 599-4594 ext. 2370.
- FAST is a jointly sponsored effort of the New Jersey Education Association, its local affiliates, the Statewide Parents Advocacy Network, and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc, with additional program support from the NAACP Statewide Education Committee.
Family Involvement is Key
Research tells us about the importance of family involvement in their children’s education. When families are involved in their children’s education children:
- Achieve higher grades and test scores
- Have better attendance at school
- Do more homework
- Behave better in school
NJEA locals implement the NJEA FAST program
Programs in action