NJEA announces a vacancy for a temporary Associate Director for Legal Services/Member Rights for one year.
Individuals holding this position report directly to the NJEA Managing Attorney. The purpose of this position is to assist in the administration of the office of Legal Services – Member Rights in the Executive Office.
- Assist and implement the NJEA-NEA Legal Services Program under the guidance of the NJEA Managing Attorney. Administer and assist the NJEA Managing Attorney with the Educator’s Employment Liability (EEL), Association Professional Liability (APL), and Fidelity Bond (FB) insurance programs.
- Represent and advise or assign, after consulting with the NJEA Managing Attorney, NJEA approved legal network counsel to represent and advise staff, members and affiliate associations before administrative and judicial tribunals.
- Analyze and disseminate court and agency decisions to staff and leaders.
- Provide legal review and advice regarding nonprofit corporate compliance, governance, and affiliation issues.
- Provide input to and/or assist the NJEA Managing Attorney for purposes of defining and developing NJEA goals and promoting NJEA objectives before administrative agencies, and to the extent feasible, coordinate these efforts with other NJEA divisions. Provide UniServ field staff and other professional staff with support, advice, resources, consultation and, where necessary, assist in providing support on legal issues, including, but not limited to, legal decisions and opinions, arbitrations, legislation, and policy. .
- Initiate, plan and/or conduct training programs for NJEA members, leaders and/or staff, and provide input to the NJEA Managing Attorney for such training.
- Gather, organize, maintain and submit required and/or requested data to ensure compliance with NJEA’s Legal Services Program and NEA’s DuShane Legal Management Systems (DLMS). Make recommendations for the development of the Legal Services Division’s budget and take necessary corrective action required to operate within the approved NJEA budget.
- Keep informed relative to developments in the law as related to educational employee rights, labor law and school law and provide advice and guidance to staff and leadership and network counsel, where appropriate.
- Act as a staff contact for assigned NJEA Committees.
- Demonstrate a high degree of interpersonal skills. Interact appropriately with staff members, members and the public. Work with NEA to provide all appropriate records to obtain NEA reimbursements through the DLMS program.
- Provide representation of NJEA interests in court and other legal venues when assigned.
- Perform such other related duties as directed by assigned management staff.
Qualifications, Training and Experience
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school required.
- Admitted to the New Jersey Bar.
- Excellent oral and written advocacy and communication skills required, including significant writing experience. Some experience advising on complex nonprofit organizational issues or similar work preferred. Excellent public speaking skills desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to review and assess a wide range of legal issues including relationships with affiliates, subsidiaries, partner organizations and members.
- Committed to labor and public education work preferred.
- Ability to complete complex legal analysis, legal strategies, and to work in collaboration with NJEA staff and local affiliates on a wide variety of legal and non-legal issues.
- Self-motivated and experienced in managing a variety of simultaneous tasks and duties.
- Two to five years of legal experience preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The deadline to submit résumé and request application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org is Jan. 21, 2021. Completed applications are due by Feb. 4, 2021,to Aileen O’Driscoll, Managing Attorney of Legal Services.
An application will be forwarded for completion based upon review of the submitted résumé.
NJEA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.