NJEA announces a vacancy for a temporary Associate Director of Accounting in the Business Division. The duration of this temporary position is estimated to begin on July 1, 2023 and conclude on Feb. 15, 2024.
COVID-19 Considerations: NJEA has developed a detailed set of safety protocols in connection with the return to in-person employment, including that all new hires must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated or willing to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated including up-to-date with booster prior to the start of employment.
Directly responsible to the Business Director for activities related to accounting, auditing, debt services, day-to-day receipts and disbursements, purchasing and pension administration. Assists in devising and preparing NJEA financial records and transactions, budgets, reports and other data related to the fiscal management of NJEA.
- Assists with the internal audit of all financial transactions with emphasis on A/P, G/L, A/R and payroll and routinely reporting results of audits to management.
- Assists in the creation of comprehensive financial reporting to management and governance. Maintain and generate these reports on a regular basis.
- Assists in the automation of financial transactions and procedures performed throughout the organization.
- Assists with the maintenance of asset inventory records.
- Assists with the oversight of the automated accounting system which includes payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger and bank reconciliations as the system relates to NJEA and its affiliated or subsidiary entities.
- Assists with the oversight of the receipt, custody and deposit of funds and the coordination of dues receivable with the membership unit within the Business Division.
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation of all required reports to the IRS, state agencies, insurance companies, banks, pension records and such other reports which must be derived from the accounting system from time to time.
- Responsible for assisting in maintaining the accounting records in a manner suitable for the auditing firm to perform quarterly and annual audits. Responsible for working with the auditor during the audit process as assigned.
- Provides information from the accounting system and assists in the development of the budget and periodic internal financial reports that provide information in special and unique circumstances.
- Assists with the analysis and development of recommendations to be implemented in the cash management and investment programs.
- Assists with the development of financial information having to do with personnel matters
- Assists with the annual conventions and business activities related to workshops and conferences.
- Assists local and county associations with accounting related maters as assigned.
- Assists in group 990 filings and aiding local and county affiliates in financial matters as assigned.
- Assists with the selection of vendors, assessment of vendor capabilities and performance, negotiation of price and delivery of goods and services.
- Assists with the review of bids to ensure adherence to procedures and policies.
- Exchanges purchasing information with employees, vendors and sales representatives.
- Assists with pension and other employee benefit administration as it relates to financial transactions and oversight.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Training and Experience
A bachelor’s degree and equivalent work experience in a related field with a minimum of ten (10) years formal education and direct work experience in the field of accounting, with an emphasis on financial reporting and general ledger analysis, will be considered.
Preference shall be given to candidates holding a current CPA Certificate with at least five (5) years of increasingly responsible and successful experience in the field of accountancy with at least two (2) years supervisory experience.
Demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform well in all phases of accounting and use of technology and computerization as they related to the operation of a 501(c)5 organization in a fund accounting environment are essential.
The deadline to send letter of interest and résumé via email at firstname.lastname@example.org is Tuesday, June 6, 2023. Completed applications are due by June 20, 2023. An application will be forwarded for completion based upon review of the submitted résumé.
NJEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of any kind. All aspects of employment decisions including but not limited to the application process, the decision to hire, promote, discipline or discharge without regards to race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, affectional or sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or breastfeeding, sex, gender identity or expression, disability or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait of any individual, or because of the liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States or the nationality of any individual.