- This event has passed.
NJEA Minority Leadership & Recruitment Conference
The presentation of the 2017 Ethnic Minority Affairs & Leadership Image Award and the 2017 Equality Champion Award will kick off this year’s NJEA Minority Leadership and Recruitment Conference on May 5-6 at the Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel in Iselin.
Later that evening, Jitu Brown (pictured above), National Director for the Journey for Justice Alliance, a network of 30 grassroots, community-based organizations in 24 cities advocating for locally driven school improvement, will keynote. Brown also teaches African-American history at St. Leonard’s Adult High School, the only accredited high school in the nation that exclusively educates formerly incarcerated persons. He was formerly the Education Organizer for the Kenwood Oakland Communication Organization (KOCO) in Chicago. In addition, Jitu Brown helped develop the Mid-South Education Association, a grassroots advocacy group composed of administrators, parents, teachers, young people, and local school council members.
Captivating elective sessions will round out Friday evening. Sessions include:
- Stress Management (Yoga)
- Zumba Fitness (NEW)
- Challenges, Strategies and Solutions for High Need School Districts (NEW)
- Money Matters: Now and Later
- ESP Survivor (For educational support professionals only)
- School Safety & Security for School Employees
- NJ Amistad Commission (NEW) PD*
In-depth seminars will be presented on Saturday, including:
- Teaching Math with the Mathematical Practice Standards (MPS)
- Technology + Hands-on Activities = Success (NEW) PD*
- Creating Change through Social Justice & Cultural Competence
- Diversity Curriculum for Education Support Professionals (NEW)
- LGBTQ Advocacy: Celebrating and Supporting Diversity in Our Schools (NEW)
- School to Prison Pipeline (NEW)
- Using Restorative Justice Practices to Promote a Positive Culture and Supportive Climate in Schools
Pre-registration is required by April 21. To register and make your workshop selections, complete and return this form with payment:Minority Leadership Conference 2017
*Professional Development (PD) credits are available for Friday’s elective 7 and Saturday’s seminars 1 & 2.