Gov. Phil Murphy has issued a number of orders to combat COVID-19, including closing all schools and imposing other restrictions on public gatherings. Those actions include:
- All of New Jersey public, private and parochial schools from Pre-K to grade 12 as well as all colleges and universities will close effective Wednesday, March 18 . Closure will be a for a minimum of two weeks. This does not apply to daycare centers which can remain open at their discretion.
- Starting tonight at 8 p.m., all non- essential and non-emergency travel in New Jersey is strongly discouraged between the hours of 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Essential businesses such as supermarkets, grocery stores, pharmacies, medical offices, and gas stations may remain open past 8 p.m. After 8 p.m. all non-essential business must close.
- During business hours businesses may remain open if they limit their occupancy to no more than 50 persons and adhere to social distance guidelines.
- All bars and restaurants are closed for eat in services effective 8 p.m. tonight. After 8 p.m. these establishments may remain open for takeout and delivery food orders only until further notice.
- All casinos and racetracks will close effective tonight at 8 p.m. Online gaming however will continue.
- All public events of 50 or more persons are canceled until further notice
- As of this morning all NJ Motor Vehicle Centers are closed for a period of at least two weeks. Expiration deadlines have been extended for those expiring before May 31. Additional information can be found here.
You may find all of this information at https://www.nj.gov/health
For NJEA’s guidance to members on issues related to this, please visit our COVID-19 resource page.