Under the NJEA Constitution and Bylaws, the Rules for NJEA Elections, and the established rules and procedures of the NJEA Elections Committee, the following are the tentative deadlines and other dates relating to NJEA county and unit elections:
Jan. 13 – Official Membership Count
- Initial membership file sent to election vendor (Intelliscan)
- Copy sent to Elections Committee staff contact: Determination of governance positions to be filled (Exec./DA/DAA)
- Deadline for notifying NJEA of a change in unit of representation
- Petitions for governance positions available
Jan. 23 – Election Committee Mandatory Meeting
- Rules, procedures, and calendar reviewed and finalized
- Announcement of membership numbers, governance and RA positions by county/unit
- Review of nominating committee requirements, filing dates, electronic nomination process
- Jan. 24 – inclement weather back-up
Feb. 1 to Feb. 28 – As established by NEA
- Feb. 1: NEA RA online self-nomination begins at 12:01 a.m.
- Feb. 28: NEA RA online self-nomination closes at 11:59 p.m.
Feb. 24 – Deadline for county and unit nominating committees to convene
- Deadline for county and unit nomination registration for NJEA Executive Committee, Delegate Assembly, and Delegate Assembly Alternate with election-vendor (Intelliscan) by county or unit designee
- Deadline for receipt of online self-nomination forms for state delegates to the NEA Representative Assembly (11:59 p.m.)
Feb 28 – Petition Deadline for nominations of county and unit elections, NJEA Governance positions, and constitutional amendments (5 p.m.)
- Deadline to make new nominations, in the event of a vacancy
- Deadline for candidates to withdraw their names from nomination (must notify NJEA Headquarters by 5 p.m.)
- NEA Representative Assembly – election vendor (Intelliscan) conducts random drawings for ballot positions for statewide units, drawings for state NEA RA ballot positions
- Deadline for candidates to verify correct spelling and format of names and school districts for ballots
April 1 to April 15 – Balloting
- Ballots due by noon April 15, 2022, at the address supplied with the ballots
- April 27 – Election Committee mandatory meeting to validate election results
- Election dispute hearings on challenge of actions related to the elections
May 1 – 2023-24 election cycle begins
All dates are subject to change.
- Failure of a candidate to properly validate their nomination online will result in disqualification.
- Local NEA RA election results MUST be received at NJEA HQ no later than Monday, April 15, 2023.
- In accordance with NJEA Bylaws, the Elections Committee may change the balloting period.
- In the event the balloting period is changed, the new balloting period will be published in the March issue of the NJEA Review and posted njea.org.