NJEA announces vacancies for Organizational Development Consultants in the Organizational Development Unit, Executive Office.
NJEA is seeking active members who will, under the direction and supervision of the NJEA Assistant Executive Director – Executive Office, Headquarters, assist NJEA Organizational Development staff in the delivery of resources to NJEA members.
Consultants will work as assigned in varied activities that may include the following:
- Advocate for public schools at events, debates, and conferences
- Identify community allies of public education
- Manage data related to member and community activists as part of ongoing organizing
- Make linkages with key players in targeted communities
- Develop organizing plans within NJEA affiliates and their communities
- Train NJEA members about corporate reform
- Participate in the creation of Organizational Development materials and programs
- Keep NJEA apprised of relevant information from community organizing activities
- Train members and parents about the importance of community organizing and family involvement
In addition to the contractual requirements, the following skills, abilities, and experiences are required:
- a deep commitment to public education
- a deep commitment to NJEA’s mission and an understanding of its organization
- strong public speaking and writing skills
- knowledge of New Jersey issues
- availability to work throughout the state after school hours, including urban areas
It is desirable that candidates also have the following skills, abilities, and experiences:
- experience with groups within the African-American and/or Latino communities
- demonstrated leadership within local associations or other organizations
- experience working with various constituencies within the NJEA including, but not limited to: certificated members, ESP members, student members, retired members
- experience in motivating and engaging members in organizing initiatives
- experience in community outreach and organizing
- experience in the use of data and data systems to develop and implement organizing plans
- an understanding of the political forces behind the corporate reform movement
- fluency in written and spoken Spanish (optional)
An application will be forwarded for completion based upon review of the submitted resume.
NJEA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.