Nomination forms and documentation for the NJEA Human and Civil Rights Award are due Oct. 30, 2020. Awards will be presented at the NJEA Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Human and Civil Rights Celebration on January 15, 2021. Nominees may be an individual, group or organization working in the area of civil rights, and if eligible, NJEA members.
To honor members and others who have been champions in the defense of human and civil rights.
Nominees must have met any two of the five following criteria:
- Initiated or engaged in human and civil rights activities which have had a community-wide impact;
- Contributed to the motivation of individuals or groups seeking self-determination;
- Shown creativity, determination, and perseverance in achieving human and civil rights goals;
- Established an ongoing program or institution for the improvement of human relations and civil rights;
- Taken an advocacy position at personal risk in the defense of civil rights.
The actions, experiences, or other ways in which the nominee meets the selected criteria must be described in one combined document that cannot exceed 250 words. This document must accompany the nomination form.
- The award nominee may be an individual, a group, or an organization working in the area of human and civil rights.
- Nominees, if eligible for NJEA membership, must be Association members.
- Award nominations will be accepted from an individual member or members.
- Nominations should be accompanied by no more than three supportive pieces of documentation which may include newspaper clippings, newsletters, programs, certificates, citations, or website links.
- Every nomination must be accompanied by two letters of recommendation.
- All nomination forms and other required materials must be submitted at the same time. Any nomination forms or required documentation materials received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Nomination forms and documentation must be postmarked by Nov. 1.
- Any committee member who is nominated for the award shall not participate in the screening and selection process.
- After review of all applications and material, the NJEA Human and Civil Rights Committee shall submit its recommendation of the award winner(s) to the NJEA Executive Committee, which shall give final approval of the award winner or winners.
To make a nomination, fill out the form below and attach supporting documentation. For more information call 609-599-4561, ext. 2290.