NJEA announces a temporary vacancy (one year) for a Principal Clerk Bookkeeper in the Business Division.
Under the supervision of the Accounting & Finance Manager or his/her designee, performs bookkeeping and other related clerical work requiring a thorough knowledge of the Association rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, and the frequent exercise of independent judgment.
- Processes accounts payable vouchers and invoices.
- Checks extensions on vouchers, enters proper codes, and distributes to appropriate offices for approval.
- Posts to subsidiary ledgers, draws all checks.
- Assists with maintaining other subsidiary accounts, including deposits, transfers, issuance of checks and reconciliation.
- Extensive use of automated systems to record financial transactions and reporting.
- Matches checks to approved vouchers and follows appropriate mailing procedures.
- Assists with the preparation of necessary reports, including those reports to state and federal agencies as needed.
- Answers questions from leaders, members and other staff pertaining to financial matters and membership data.
- Assists with compiling information necessary to calculate agency fee.
- Reviews and reconciles monthly dues bill with Membership Specialist.
- Provides troubleshooting and training assistance to Membership Processing Clerks.
- Enters entity batch cash receipts.
- Works on special accounting and membership department projects
- Maintains the necessary accounting and membership records and files
- Performs other duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from high school or possession of an approved high school equivalency certificate, and/or advanced degree in accounting
- Three years of accounting experience in accounts receivable and accounts payable
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of automated systems, particularly, Microsoft office products, Work, Excel, E-Mail, and Access.
- Thorough knowledge of modern office routines, procedures, methods, equipment, and machines and bookkeeping procedures, methods, and devices and their proper application.
- Thorough knowledge of business automated accounting and membership software.
- Strong communications and grammatical skills using the English language.
- Possess organizational skills.
- Ability to understand, review and check various types of financial data and review their accuracy.
- Ability to check and verify vouchers.
- Ability to assist in the maintenance of petty cash records and records of cash receipts and disbursements.
- Ability to balance general and subsidiary ledgers.
- Ability to prepare clear, sound, accurate, and informative financial and other statements and reports.
- Ability to maintain necessary records and files.
The deadline to submit resume and request applications via email is December 20, 2017. Completed applications are due by Jan. 8, 2018, to Accounting and Finance Manager,
An application will be forwarded for completion based upon review of the submitted résumé.
NJEA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer