NJEA announces a vacancy for a secretary in the Communications Division.
COVID-19 Considerations: NJEA has developed a detailed set of safety protocols in connection with the return to in-person employment, including that all new hires must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated or willing to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated including up-to-date with boosters prior to the start of employment.
Under the supervision of a management employee or his/her designee performs secretarial work of considerable difficulty and involving some independent judgment; general office functions; requires a thorough knowledge of the Association rules, regulations, policies, and procedures; performs related work as required.
- Composes and types routine correspondence
- Types statements, reports and proofreads.
- Assists in arrangements for meetings and workshops.
- Schedules appointments and maintains calendar.
- Maintains organizational files and records.
- Assists in preparation and assembly of mailings.
- Facilitates vouchers, committee vouchers, purchase of materials, expenses, etc.
- Receives and screens telephone calls, and answers general questions from the public, other staff, and members within the scope of knowledge and responsibility.
- May receive and resolve or refer member inquiries.
- May take and transcribe dictation.
- May take part in the training and/or orientation of new employees.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Training and Experience
- One or more courses at or above the high school level in each of the following: English grammar, general office practice, typing, shorthand, and two (2) years’ general office experience; OR
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent telephone manners and speaking skills.
- Good knowledge of general office practices and procedures and business English.
- Good knowledge of computerized business operations that include Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and other related/named software packages.
- Ability to take *shorthand at 80 words per minute or to transcribe dictation which has been recorded.
- Ability to type at a range of 45 to 60 words per minute.
*Shorthand requirement has been waived.
The deadline to send letter of interest and résumé via email at email@example.com is Thursday, May 11, 2023. Completed applications are due by May 25, 2023. An application will be forwarded for completion based upon review of the submitted résumé
NJEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of any kind. All aspects of employment decisions including but not limited to the application process, the decision to hire, promote, discipline or discharge without regards to race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, affectional or sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or breastfeeding, sex, gender identity or expression, disability or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait of any individual, or because of the liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States or the nationality of any individual.