Working together we CAN make a difference!
Working together, school staff and children can make a difference.Your child’s success in school begins at home. When the families and school staff work together, children are the winners.Your child’s success in school begins at home.
Here are some activities to try at home – to reinforce what we do in school.
- Ask your child about the school day.
- Begin your child’s day with a nourishing breakfast.
- Congratulate your child for doing well.
- Discuss homework with your child.
- Encourage your child to read.
- Find a quiet place for your child to study.
- Give your child responsibility.
- Hug your child – show your love.
- Include your child in making simple family decisions.
- Join a library with your child and visit regularly.
- Keep your child on a schedule that includes meals, exercise, and sleep.
- Limit TV and video viewing by selecting appropriate programs or movies with your child.
- Monitor your child’s use of computers and the Internet.
- Notice and discuss changes in your child’s behavior.
- Offer to help your child organize school materials, but don’t do his or her work.
- Provide your child with good role models.
- Question the activities your child shares with friends.
- Respect your child’s right to have opinions different from yours.
- Share a hobby or interest with your child.
- Take time to listen to your child.
- Urge your child to say “NO!” to unwanted touching or invitations from strangers.
- Visit places of interest with your child.
- Work with your child to establish rules of behavior.
- Xerox and save records or articles that benefit your child.
- Yell encouraging words when your child is playing on a team – don’t be negative or criticize.
- Zero in on some more good ideas for helping your child by getting to know your school family.