Atlantic County ESL educator, Achau Nguyen, from Hamilton Township School District, was awarded a $1,665 grant to carry out a project at Joseph. Shaner Elementary School in Mays Landing.
This project will involve events and activities to help students learn about different countries and cultures around the world, as well as to highlight the diversity of the school. Activities include:
- Country Door Decoration Contest with each hallway representing one of the seven continents;
- Tour of Nations/Gallery Walk where students will bring their passports, “visit” different countries (doors), and become an official “World Traveler” (with a passport stamp)
- Cultural Assembly sponsored by the PTA to discover and/or explore culture, history, dance, and music of a particular country;
- Multicultural Staff Luncheon for school staff to share and celebrate different cultures;
- Heritage Dolls made from paper to learn about students’ heritages;
- Chinese Ox Decoration to celebrate the 2021 Year of the Ox;
- Chinese New Year celebration that includes a game show and other stations;
- Professional Development for Teachers to help expand knowledge on topics such as ESL, language, and culture.
Assessment will include a staff survey. Students will be expected to verbally state two countries and one continent with 100% accuracy. Staff will be able to better describe the cultural diversity of the school.
For more information, contact:
Achau Nguyen, Project Coordinator
(609) 553-2829 (home)