Is your family experiencing any problems with how best to cope with the needs of an elderly loved one? You’re not alone. In fact, studies have found that over 33 percent of active adults are considered caregivers, and that number is likely higher given that most people do not recognize that they are actually caregivers. Leading experts state the definition of a caregiver as someone who:
- Provides unpaid assistance and support to family members who have physical, psychological or developmental needs;
- Makes decisions, such as choosing a physician for an aging person or whether to move an elderly person from his/her home environment to a residential care setting; or
- Provides or locates services, including adult day care, assisted living, hospice care, skilled nursing, home health care and specialized care, such as geriatric care management.
ElderBenefit, provided by Care Patrol, is an NJEA Member Benefit partner who can make caring for your elderly loved one much more manageable. They provide free assistance on eldercare issues in order to make dealing with your family’s needs more manageable. NJREA/NJEA members can receive free information and guidance from trained senior care consultants on subjects like:
- How to pay for senior care options;
- Who to talk to about assisted living and paid caregiver options; and
- Which government programs are available for their loved ones.
Simply call ElderBenefit/Care Patrol at 866-423-9877 or visit their website for more information or to initiate service.
NJREA members can also get resources and assistance with long-term care coverage through the NEA Long-Term Care Program. This program offers NJREA/NJEA members the following:
- A free needs assessment over the phone with NEA dedicated licensed professionals;
- Secure coverage for in-home caregivers or residential care in a nursing home;
- Choice of popular plan designs or customized benefits; and
- Exclusive NEA rates, with coverage available for your spouse, parents, and adult children.
Members can contact an NEA Long-Term Care Advisor at 1-855-NEA-4LTC (632-4582) for expert advice and your FREE needs assessment, or visit the Long-Term Care Resource Center for more information.