NJEA believes that the mainstay of a secure retirement is the defined benefit pension plan. In New Jersey, teachers and educational support professionals contribute a percentage of their salary and receive credit for the time they serve public school students in a pension plan that provides a guaranteed income in retirement. This is deferred compensation that members earn as part of their compensation package.
Providing quality health benefits for public school employees does not just benefit the employee and their families; they are also critical to protecting students’ health.
Post-retirement medical benefits are another element of an employee’s deferred compensation.
- No co-pays, deductibles or other out-of-pocket costs
- Available to members and their eligible family members
- Same or next day appointments for urgent needs
- Limited to no time in the waiting rooms
- One-stop shop for lab work, immunizations, and more
- Unlimited access to your personal doctor including 24/7 care, convenient in-person appointments, phone appointments, and online access
- No changes necessary to your insurance plan