Thank you for visiting the New Jersey Education Association (NJEA) Web Site. We appreciate your interest in NJEA. Because we share your concern about privacy, we are letting you know how we collect information about you online, what information we collect, how we use the information, under what circumstances we disclose it, and what choices are available to you regarding such data collection. This Privacy Statement covers information collected at our site: www.njea.org.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you do nothing during your visit but browse, read pages, or download information, our site’s operating system will automatically record the following information about your visit.
- The Internet domain for your Internet service, such as “xcompany.com” or “xcompany.net” if you use a private Internet access account, or “yourcollege.edu” if you connect from a college or university domain.
- The type of browser that you use, e.g., “American Online version 7” or “Microsoft Internet Explorer 5”.
- The type of operating system that you use, e.g., Windows or Macintosh.
- The date and time you visit our site, and the Web pages that you visit on our site.
- The address of the previous web site you visited, if you linked with us from another web site.
This information is used to help us track user interests. We gather this information in the aggregate — as a total, not linked to individual users — and we may share it with our local affiliates and the National Education Association, as well as other reputable organizations which share our interests.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
NJEA collects and uses personal information that you provide online for the purposes described below. By “personal information,” we mean information that on its own can specifically identify you. This includes, among other things, your full name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, fax number, social security number, etc.
- Membership Information: NJEA members may update their NJEA membership information on the “Members Only” portion of our site, which is password protected. To access the “Members Only” area, NJEA members must enter their personal identification numbers (“PIN”) as well as the last four digits of their social security numbers. For security reasons, NJEA members are advised to keep their PIN strictly confidential. In the event that you are an NJEA member and have forgotten your PIN or if you need a new PIN, contact firstname.lastname@example.org NJEA safeguards the privacy of its membership data. In order to provide NJEA members with certain services, however, it may be necessary for us to share membership information with our local affiliates, the National Education Association, NEA Member Benefits Company, as well as other reputable third parties. If you have any specific questions regarding NJEA’s use of membership data, please contact email@example.com
- Discussion Forums: If you choose to participate in a discussion forum, your comments and any personal information that you disclose will be available to anyone who can access the forum. By “discussion forum,” we mean any medium that is designed to facilitate communication among users, e.g., our professional development bulletin boards, online action research symposium, lesson plan exchange, etc.
- Online Purchases/Registration: In order to process and fulfill any online purchase or conference registration using NJEA’s web-based services, we ask you to provide, among other things, name as it appears on the credit card, credit card billing address, card number and expiration date. The information is sent via the Internet to NJEA’s server(s) in a secure format using HTTPS and the built-in encryption capabilities of your web browser.
- E-mail Lists: NJEA may establish email lists in the future. If you choose to subscribe to an NJEA e-mail list, we ask for your e-mail address and other personal information. We use this information to administer the e-mail list and to track user interests. We may also use it to verify that you are an NJEA member. If you choose to subscribe to a legislative e-mail list, we may use your zip code to send you individualized updates on your Members of Congress, your state legislators, or both. Although we may share our e-mail lists with our local affiliates and the National Education Association, we do not sell, lease, or rent these lists to any outside organizations. If you wish to cancel your subscription to any e-mail list, please follow the instructions provided at the bottom of our e-mailings. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems canceling a subscription.
- Other Interactive Forms: You may choose to provide us with other personal information through an interactive form on our site, such as the “Contact NJEA” Form. Depending on the form and the reason(s) for your contact, it may be necessary to share this information with third parties.
Links to Other Sites
The privacy policies and practices contained in this Privacy Statement do not apply to ANY external links. The NJEA Privacy Statement only applies to our site or any future sites that we may develop. It does not cover sites that are linked to or sites for which we are not responsible (“linked-sites”). These linked-sites will have their own policies and practices which may be different from ours. We therefore encourage you to familiarize yourself with the policies and practices of the linked-sites, especially if you provide personal information to them.
Amendments and Consent to This Privacy Statement
NJEA retains the right to amend or otherwise update this Privacy Statement at any time. By using our site, you consent to the collection and use of the information as we have described. If we change our policies and practices, we will post the changes in our Privacy Statement so that you are always aware of them. With this knowledge, you can make an informed decision about whether you wish to provide personal information to us.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, you may contact us by sending an e-mail at email@example.com, or calling our Communications Department at (609)599-4561.